02 March, 2016

A Freedom Song : Marjorie Oludhe-Macgoye

Atieno washes dishes,
Atieno plucks the chicken,
Atieno gets up early,
Beds her sacks down in the kitchen,
Atieno eight years old,
Atieno yo.

Since she is my sister’s child,
Atieno needs no pay.
While she works my wife can sit,
Sewing every sunny day:
With he earnings I support,
Atieno yo.

Atieno’ sly and jealous,
Bad example to the kids,
Since she minds them, like a schoolgirl,
Wants their dresses, shoes and beads,
Atieno ten years old,
Atieno yo.

Now my wife has gone to study,
Atieno is less free.
Don’t I keep her, school my own ones,
Pay the party, union fee,
All for progress! Aren't you grateful?
Atieno yo?

Visitors need much attention,
All the more when I work night.
That girl spends too long at market.
Who will teach her what is right?
Atieno rising fourteen,
Atieno yo.

Atieno’s had a baby,
So we know that she is bad.
Fifty fifty it may live,
And repeat the life she had,
Ending in post-partum bleeding,
Atieno yo.

Atieno’s soon replaced;
Meat and sugar more than all,
She ate in such a narrow life,
Were lavished at her funeral.
Atieno’s gone to glory,
Atineo yo.

No comments: